BEFORE THE MEETING: Prepare and Plan
- Communication with teachers- build a relationship, obtain and keep documentation on work completed or conversation regarding your child’s struggles
- Write down your thoughts on all you want to cover so you don’t miss anything
- What goals/needs do you want to see your child accomplish? Here is a little IEP planner to help organize and provide some key information: IEP Planner for Parents
- Schedule the meeting where there is sufficient time to discuss everything and people are not running off to other commitments
- Brush up on the jargon often thrown around the meeting by educators/administrators
- Ask someone to join you for support! Friend, relative, coach, advocate
- Bring some water, snacks, etc. to open up smiles and communication!
DURING THE MEETING: Participate
- Remember, YOU are in integral part of this team!
- Keep focused on the goals and the end, not so much the means
- Ask for clarification if you are unsure of what is being discussed
- Bring your child!
- Most importantly, you do NOT have to sign if you are not satisfied
AFTER THE MEETING:
- If you have not signed, review IEP; make changes or ask questions before you do sign
- Review goals with your child and put it in “their language”
- Keep a copy with all other IEP’s, testing documents
- Expect Progress Reports periodically on the goals/objectives
- Keep in communication with all the teachers
Have more questions?
Click for Complementary Conversation Talk to Judy
OR CALL: 614-442-0664